Mississippi Scholarship Online has now launched on UPSO! The University Press of Mississippi is the sixteenth partner press to join UPSO’s ever-growing ranks of prestigious academic publishers.
The University Press of Mississippi (UPM) was founded in 1970, and is supported by Mississippi’s eight state universities. From its offices in Jackson, the University Press of Mississippi publishes the highest calibre of academic, scholarly works which interpret the diverse culture and complex history of the American South to the nation and the rest of the world.
Mississippi Scholarship Online (MSSO) makes almost 200 key UPM titles available online in XML format on one single, user-friendly, state-of-the-art platform for the first time. MSSO has added content to six University Press Scholarship Online subjects, including History, Literature, Music, and Film, Television and Radio. As befits UPM’s reputation as a preeminent publisher of comic and graphic novel criticism, they’ve also brought a brand new ‘Comic Studies’ subdiscipline to UPSO’s Literature subject.
To celebrate the launch of Mississippi Scholarship Online, we’ve made a selection of chapters from some of the press' key titles free and available for one month.
- 'The Black Arts Movement: Let Me Count the Ways' in Visionary Women Writers of Chicago's Black Arts Movement by Carmen L. Phelps
- 'Batman, Deviance and Camp' by Andy Medhurst in The Superhero Reader ed. Charles Hatfield, Jeet Heer, and Kent Worcester
- 'Rediscovery and Sweet Success' in Mississippi John Hurt: His Life, His Times, His Blues by Philp R. Ratcliffe
- 'The Sleeping Giant' in Shocking the Conscience: A Reporter's Account of the Civil Rights Movement by Simeon Booker and Carol McCabe Booker
- 'Gender and the Action Heroine' in Dangerous Curves: Action Heroines, Gender, Fetishism, and Popular Culture by Jeffrey A. Brown
- 'Introduction - On the Rhetorics of Crisis and the Current State of American Horror Cinema' in American Horror Film: The Genre at the Turn of the Millenium by Steffen Hantke
This update takes the total number of titles available on the platform to almost 15,000, and the number of prestigious partner presses to 16!