- Title Pages
- Translators’ Preface
- Chapter 1 From Comics to Comic Books (1842–1936)
- Chapter 2 The Beginnings of an Industry: Comics Magazines (1936–1940)
- Chapter 3 Comic Books at War (1940–1945)
- Chapter 4 Ever More—The Apogee and the Fall (1945–1954)
- Chapter 5 Decline and Rebirth (1955–1962)
- Chapter 6 The Age of Innovation (1963–1969)
- Chapter 7 Research and Development by Trial and Error (1969–1979)
- Chapter 8 The Recovery of the 1980s (1980–1993)
- Chapter 9 The End of a Century and the Beginning of a New Century (1993– )
- Chapter 10 Production
- Chapter 11 The Business of Comic Books
- Chapter 12 The Creators
- Chapter 13 The Readers
- Chapter 14 Calls for Censorship
- Chapter 15 Internal Consecration
- Chapter 16 External Consecration
- Chapter 17 Conclusion
- Appendix Self-Regulating Codes of the Comic Book Industry1
- Bibliographic Essay
University Press of Mississippi requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.