- Title Pages
- 1 Rewriting to Control: How the Origins of Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, and Mary Magdalene Matter to Women’s Perceived Power
- 2 Exploring the Monstrous Feminist Frame: Marvel’s She-Hulk as Male-Centric Postfeminist Discourse
- 3 “There Is More to Me Than Just Hunger”: Female Monsters and Liminal Spaces in <i>Monstress</i> and <i>Pretty Deadly</i>
- 4 The (Un)Remarkable Fatness of Valiant’s Faith
- 5 New and Improved? Disability and Monstrosity in Gail Simone’s <i>Batgirl</i>
- 6 Horrible Victorians: Interrogating Power, Sex, and Gender in <i>InSEXts</i>
- 7 Kicking Ass in Flip-Flops: Inappropriate/d Generations and Monstrous Pregnancy in Comics Narratives
- 8 The Monstrous Portrayal of the Maternal Bolivian Chola in Contemporary Comics
- 9 The Monstrous “Mother” in Moto Hagio’s <i>Marginal</i>: The Posthuman, the Human, and the Bioengineered Uterus
- 10 SeDUCKtress! Magica De Spell, Scrooge McDuck, and the Avuncular Anthropomorphism of Carl Barks’s Midcentury Disney Comics
- 11 On the Edge of 1990s Japan: Kyoko Okazaki and the Horror of Adolescence
- 12 Chinese Snake Woman Resurfaces in Comics: Considering the Case Study of <i>Calabash Brothers</i>
- 13 Monochromatic Teats, Teeth, and Tentacles: Monstrous Visual Rhetoric in Stephen L. Stern and Christopher Steininger’s <i>Beowulf: The Graphic Novel</i>
- 14 Beauty and Her B(r)east(s): Monstrosity and College Women in <i>The Jaguar</i>
- 15 UFO (Unusual Female Other) Sightings in <i>Saucer Country/State</i>: Metaphors of Identity and Presidential Politics
- About the Contributors
- Monstrous Women in Comics
- Samantha Langsdale, Elizabeth Rae Coody
- University Press of Mississippi
University Press of Mississippi requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.