- Title Pages
- A Prologue
- Chapter 1 A Usable Past
- Chapter 2 The Magic of Words
- Chapter 3 Whatever World There Would Be
- Chapter 4 The Stale Bread of Dedication
- Chapter 5 A Weekend in July
- Chapter 6 A Kind of Beatness
- Chapter 7 Neal & Co.
- Chapter 8 This Particular Kind of Madness
- Chapter 9 Angelic Visions
- Chapter 10 In the Temple of the Gods
- Chapter 11 A Torrent of Words
- Chapter 12 The Liveitup Kid
- Chapter 13 Perfect Fools
- Chapter 14 The Rising Tide of Fame
- Chapter 15 What Am I Doing Here?
- Chapter 16 The Horn
- Chapter 17 Too-Late Words
- Chapter 18 A Sweet Attention
- Chapter 19 To the Edge of Eros
- Chapter 20 Gypsying
- Chapter 21 A Turn of the Circle
- Chapter 22 Gone in October
- Chapter 23 On a Porch in Boulder
- Chapter 24 Final Chorus
Neal & Co.
Neal & Co.
- (p.101) Chapter 7 Neal & Co.
- University Press of Mississippi
On January 4, 1949, John Clellon Holmes wrote to Alan Harrington in Arizona about the arrival of Neal Cassady in New York City. Cassady left his wife, Carolyn Robinson, with their four-month-old-baby girl in San Francisco and set out for New York with a friend, Al Hinkle, and his newly married wife, Helen. He also stopped in Denver to pick up LuAnne, whom he had married when she was fifteen. Allen Ginsberg was overwhelmed to see Cassady, with whom he had a sexual relationship, in New York. Over the next few months Holmes wrote letters and journals to address the complicated questions raised by Cassady. He was aware of Cassady’s attraction for the rest of the group, including Jack Kerouac. The tumultuous cross-country journey with Cassady to the West Coast became some of the most memorable pages of the book Kerouac would write two years later.
University Press of Mississippi requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.