- Title Pages
- Preface and Acknowledgments
- 1 Prelude
- 2 New Imperialism and Domestic Agitations
- 3 The Rise of Ethnic and Class Consciousness: 1921–1930
- 4 Public Spectacles: 1931–1940
- 5 The American Presence: 1940–1950
- 6 The 1950s: The Rise and Fall of Self-Determination
- 7 The 1960s: “Guiana Lament”: The Painful Road to Independence
- 8 The 1970s: “Making the Small Man a Real Man”
- 9 The 1980s: Long Live the President—The President Is Dead!
- 10 The 1990s: “Dessie, You Wrong! Dessie, You Wrong!”
- 11 Findings and Conclusions
University Press of Mississippi requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.